Saturday, May 5, 2012

My own "What Not to Wear" Experience - Style-for-Hire

OH. MY. GOD. 
OH. MY. GOD.
OH. MY. GOD.

As so many of you know first hand, I am rarely (if ever) totally speechless.  My friends, I am simply speechless. Even after a good nights' sleep and relaxing last night, I'm still unable to form coherent thoughts, much less type sentences.   Seriously! 

The best way to describe the day is this - but first - stop, close your eyes (or not) - now just imagine being Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman (Rodeo Drive scene), Eliza Doolittle in My Fair Lady, and spending a day on What Not To Wear (without the annoying t.v. cameras).  And THAT is what yesterday was to me. 

When a life event/experience happens, so powerful, that you feel it all the way to your soul, you know it has somehow just tilted your world. Forever, this day will be emblazoned into my heart. 
So powerful that I needed an entire evening to take it all in, reflect, and decompress.

And.... it couldn't of happened at a better time.

Mothers Day - the source of pure emotional hell for me.  Not going to go all sappy on your asses right now, but just know that this week leading up to my BLISS (lol), has been tough.   (this sets up my emotional state - lol)

And here's the WHY and HOW it all happened:

Vegas. My loving and dearest husband mentioned that I dress just like Grandma Ag.  Screech.... can ya hear those brakes squealing?  I said: WHAT?  Again, he said:  "You look frumpy".  And that, my friends, means really FRUMPY.  It happened in Vegas this past March, and it stayed with me.  What can I say?  Like most times, he really gets me :)   It was that comment that provoked the long lost inner spirit of mine, so sorely ignored for the last few years.  It's easy to become complacent in ones' life, and had taken a deep root in me as well. 

Many times Mike will say to me that I needed to go on the TLC show "What Not to Wear". Thankfully, not because I wear tye-dye pajamas out in public, or other atrocious outfits. Nope, just the opposite -- I'd feed my shopping addiction because I DID want to look nice and appropriate, but failed miserably. It was sooooo much easier to go to FRUMP mode because, well, it was easy. No excuses.

Pure luck...

Three weeks ago, on Twitter, Stacy London (What not to Wear) posted that her new business, "Style-for-hire" was going live that day. The website is:  www.styleforhire.com.  I IMMEDIATELY checked it out, and was flabbergasted upon reading it. 

The new business was started by Stacy as a way to bring the WNTW experience to the general public.  How many of you who have seen the show thought "I'd LOVE to be on it"?????  I mean, right?!?!  It appeared to be pretty damn cool and EXACTLY what this frumpola needed.  What does it offer?  Ok... she has a group of 100-ish personal stylists across the country that offer the exact services that appear on WTNW.  Option 1: Clean your closet  Option 2: Shop in your closet  Option 3:  Go shopping with you   Option 4:  Shop FOR you.  I went with Option 3!

Now.... how to ask Mike?  It happened on a Friday night, after our first few cocktails, and I got the nerve up to "mention" my incredible website find.  I wasn't quite sure how he'd take it, but I knew I had a ringer in my proverbial back pocket, my upcoming birthday!   So very tenderly I told him that I had a wonderful idea for a birthday present....and he appropriately asked: "what is it"... and I told him about Style-for-Hire.  I positioned it as a "win-win" for both of us -- he doesn't have to look at a frump (aka Grandma Ag) and I get to shop.  Win-win, right?  Yup, I thought it was pretty brilliant on my part!!!! lol  He LOVED the idea, and told me to "book it".  Duh.... it was booked the next day!

Luckily, there are several stylists in the Chicagoland area on the website, and I was able to choose the best one for my needs, and my choice was a no brainer -- Marlisa Sailer.  We made contact quickly, and set up a phone consultation on Thursday.  The plan was set, we would meet at Bloomingdale's on Michigan Avenue at 10:30 on Friday.  I booked her for 2-1/2 hours.  So, all I had to do was pack a wheelie suitcase of clothes that I had trouble with, or looked bad for some reason.  Um... how does one fit an ENTIRE closet in one bag?!?! ha ha. 

Friday morning came pretty quickly -- and the alarm blazed at 5:00 am.  Ouch.   Plus... what does one wear to an experience such as this?  Do I dress like my normal frumpola, or attempt to look "polished"?  Do I go all out and wear my best -- or my worst?  THINK about this... what could it do to my already fragile psyche if she told me (in my best) that it was horrible?  LOL  I went middle of the road, black jeans, cute(r) cardigan and black tank.  Whew.... with that all done, it was time for the last minute packing of the suitcase. 

I had many items packed, and for some strange reason, at the VERY last minute I decided to yank them out, and just bring a new black biker blazer/jacket, a flowy shirt, and a linen skirt that NEVER looked right.  Mike asked if I might like to take his I-Pad for the train ride, and I declined.  THANK GOD. 

So... the drive to the Milwaukee airport/train terminal was interesting.  Great time to reflect on this wonderful opportunity that was ahead of me.  Such a roller coaster of emotions -- giddy to tears.  Thinking of Mom, and our shopping days in Chicago (with Kate), and all the years of clothing advice.  Thinking of Mike and this wonderful opportunity he has given me..... thinking of Marli and the hopes I had for this event.  Sooooo many thoughts.  The only article of clothing that I thought about on the drive was a white jean jacket.  Crazy, I know, right?! 

Arrived into the Chicago train/Union Station and grabbed a cab, threw the suitcase in the trunk and off I went to Bloomies.  Got out of the cab, and went in, and halted dead in my tracks....FUCK, the suitcase was in the trunk, and bye bye cabbie.  I RAN outside, and thought that maybe if I just stood there, he'd return.  Yes, I can be a simpleton at times, and this was one of those times.  I called a few cab cos. to no avail.  Note to self:  PAY ATTENTION.  Note #2: Look/remember what color cab you get into.... Lesson 3:  LOOK at the cab number.... Lesson 4:  Get a receipt.... Lesson 5:  keep your suitcase NEXT to you in the backseat..... Lesson 5:  REMEMBER IT. 

I cried.  Called and left a message for Mike in between sobs, and attempted to just "let it go".  Then the reality smacked me in the head -- DUH.  Look around, idiot, where are you?  And from that moment on the bliss began. 

Marlisa Sailer -- we met in the lobby and off we went to the dressing room aka the room that changed my life.  How Marli works is she will pre shop for each client based on conversations, questionnaires and lifestyle.  Her selections were already in the room waiting for me, and upon entering, I was like child on Christmas morning.  No kidding. 

I think I even heard angels singing. 

NEVER would I have expected, dreamt or believe that any one person could "get me" as she did.  I saw dresses, and skirts, and tops, and jackets and scarves.  Guess what the first thing that caught my eye was?  Yup -- a white jean jacket!  SERIOUSLY?  Yup.  That's when I KNEW it was going to be a great, life changing experience. 

I went from frumpy to fabulous in less than 5 minutes.  The little blue dress, my version of the little black dress, changed everything.  NEVER would I have chosen it, yet, it was made for me.  A total "aha" moment happened as Marli was explaining to me exactly why this dress "worked".  It made perfect sense, and instantly broke every pre-conceived rule that I thought I "knew".  It brought the wall down -- the wall of fear of dresses -- the fear of looking like a sausage in every dress I've tried on in the last 15 years -- and the fear of all things arm!!! 

Bring it on.....

From that moment, it was a literal whirlwind of zippers, buttons, arms, hands, and hangers flying!  At times I found myself just staring at myself in the mirror.  WTF?  I've tried avoiding the mirrors for 15 years, and now I couldn't get enough? 

I had been dressing completely (well almost) wrong for my oversized body.  Funny thing, I knew how to accent it when it was vastly smaller, but not now.  I knew it was easy finding jeans that looked good because that is what DOES look good, and the jean style pants do look best.  Whew, at least SOMETHING in my old wardrobe would make "the cut".   However, that's where it ends.  I guess having zero hips isn't the worst thing, nor having a huge chest either.  I saw these as negatives, but after yesterday, no more. 

Sorry, I digress. 

I've added some pictures that Marli took to aid my memory.... snapshots of my new me!  Just know the pictures do not do a garment favors, however, it will show all of you my wonderful looks. 

My "rules"?   Balance the top heaviness to the bottom.  Color blocking is my friend.  Knits are my best friend, as are very structured materials.  Fit is KEY, and so it cut.  It is imperative to create a waistline w/ layers (think white jean jacket and shell tucked into skirt).  Things need to hit at a specific spot on my stomach -- very specific area -- or I will look pregnant (my words, not hers!).  A double triangle (point to point) is the desired effect.  Things need to be focused downward, and at an angle, and a scarf CAN be my best friend too!  A scarf should have fringe on it, and have the fringe hanging down - visually causing the eye to follow. 

Black skirts can be the girls best friend, and learned a ton of new and better ways to work it.  I can wear it all the way up to my bra for a new look, or lower.  Seriously ??? Who would ever know that, or try it?!?  I will now. 

Color blocking... wow... on me, it makes a huge difference.  Bold on top, darker on bottom. 

White pants should be worn on me!!!!  Dress pants, however, will not be found.  By the time I'd be done altering them, they would just okay.  "eh.... this is fine....because I've always "known" that skirts worked much easier on me than dress pants.  Cotton pants/capris however are a different story. 

SO... without further ado... here they are: 


The blue dress that changed everything:  (it's navy and white)


Oh look -- the white jean jacket!!!
The most gorgeous color of jade - with a drawstring waist and is the epitomy of all my rules!

See the trend yet?  The magical white jacket!
Made for this blue-eyed Julie!!! (It's sapphire blue) 
This blouse is a rose/watermelon color (picture thows a diff. tone).  The sweater/cardi is darker blue



This is actually two separates... purple top, black skirt


Jade colored tank with embellished seam, and the skirt is black, khaki, jade and yellow.  To say it's fun is a gross understatement.  Sooooo many uses!


And then it was time for the shoes....... need I say more?  Donna, Kate, and Carly - this part is for you :)  Marli headed down to the shoe floor as I was paying/shipping for my purchases.  I already knew that by having the items shipped to WI, I wouldn't have to pay the high sales tax of Chicago.  Thanks Mom for that very valuable lesson!!!  So... down to shoes I go....

Imagine ladies having someone pick out shoes for you?  Does that not totally channel a princess in your minds?  Remember the Julia Roberts comment above?  This is where it really struck me the most.  I was LIVING, breathing and DOING a total Julia Roberts.  OH MY GOD.   I was in a bubble where nothing, and I mean NOTHING stood in my way.  It was surreal. 

Marni comes to me with several pair, but my eyes immediately focused on these: 






Wartermelony-red Cole Haan perfection!


I also learned that flats do NOT need to matronly or frumpy!  My gosh, these patent wedged delights are the perfect finishing touch to my new "me".  I learned that a great pair of BRIGHT shoes will make any outfit pop.  Navy white dress - BAMMO - instant pop.  Jade green dress - WHAMMO.  Yes, these will be cherished.  Found a great pair of Sperry navy and white flats that will get LOTS to wear too.  So, with the shoes taken care of, it was time to say goodbye to Marni. 

Does it sound odd that I didn't want to see her leave?  Does it even seem creepy that I felt like she was a friend?  I told her, it wasn't goodbye, just see ya' later - and this won't be the last time. 

So, off to find some bangles (per Marni) on my own.... and I followed her suggestions.  Problem was there were TOO many to choose from -- again -- still in dream land!! 

ANd with that, it was time to pry my body away from Bloomingdales on Michigan Avenue, and head to the train.  Damn it. 

Got home last night in a daze.... I could BARELY talk, but seemed to be grinning from ear-to-ear at the same time! 

P.S. - I HAVE THE BEST HUSBAND and this will be a birthday present I will NEVER forget :) 

PP.S.  I will FOREVER love this bag! 


 









Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Cindy McLaughlin said...

HI Julie,

I love this blog post! I'm thrilled you got so much out of your appointment. This is exactly the kind of thing that makes me love what I do.

Kind regards,
Cindy McLaughlin
CEO, Style for Hire

May 7, 2012 at 9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely full on brilliant!!!! So happy you had such an amazeballs experience.

Very Best,
Stacy London
Yep, that one.

PS Mike is just ACES.

May 7, 2012 at 9:23 PM  
Anonymous Jana said...

This is awesome!!! I want to see pictures of YOU!!! in your amazing new clothes!! Show us!!!

May 8, 2012 at 5:09 PM  
Anonymous KL said...

So incredibly cool! I'm no Stacy London but I love ya just the same! XO

May 8, 2012 at 7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So lovely! :)

August 10, 2012 at 10:53 AM  
Anonymous Carmen said...

Hi Julie,

I was looking at the Style for Hire website and happened upon your review. I was extra excited to see such a positive review for one of the stylists in Chicago. My question for you is...how did you go about choosing Marlisa? It's hard to know from the website which stylist is more seasoned, flexible, etc. I would love to hire a stylist for my mom and know firsthand that she can picky about her style choices. I think this would be a really great boost for her. We've had a rough couple of years and she totally deserves to feel great!

Let me know! Stacy London, if you read this, I LOVE YOU and your show! I'm religious follower.

Warm greetings,
Carmen

September 28, 2012 at 3:49 PM  
Blogger Julie Hansen-Magers said...

Hi Carmen,
How did I go about choosing Marlisa? I reviewed all of the bios on the six (??) or so consultants in the Chicago area. I am plus size so that was a factor...then I went with my gut, and who "spoke" to me. A lot of it was "gut instinct" and once written correspondence was established, I KNEW we would be a perfect fit. I know that doesn't help you choose for your Mom, but I would still HIGHLY recommend Marlisa Sailer. I'm giving a lot of thought of hiring her again! ~ Julie

September 28, 2012 at 3:56 PM  
Anonymous Carmen said...

Thanks for the speedy reply! Sounds great. I'll definitely keep her in mind. Hope your next shopping experience is just as awesome. :)

September 28, 2012 at 4:03 PM  
Blogger Julie Hansen-Magers said...

Oh, just remembered - not only does Marlisa put you in the clothes she chose - she teaches you WHY each piece is better or best. She keeps going until you 'get it'. It was a huge help going forward.... good luck!

September 28, 2012 at 4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think! Julie

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Web Counter
Free Counter