Restless for Travel Syndrome
Cabin fever was at an all-time high this year! To say that I was climbing the walls or minimally wearing out my computer keyboard would be a gross understatement.
I NEEDED a vacation, and BAD!
Due to not going to Mexico this past January, I didn't have any thing to really look forward to after Christmas. Oh sure, having the Packers win the Superbowl was pretty awesome, but it really didn't do much to ease my restlessness.
Yup.... that's exactly what I was -- restless.
Even the beginning of the Nascar season left me less than ecstatic. Wow! The thought of being able to watch Smoke (aka Tony Stewart) burn up the laps at the Daytona 500 barely got me going.
Although, being able to touch Tony's junk in Vegas MADE MY WEEK! Yup... I got to rub my hand over his perfectly formed seat, and smell the leather of his outfit. Where/when you ask? It was the same week we were in Vegas for the annual Pizza Expo. Tony was there for the Vegas race, and played "taxi driver" for a day. He was parked out in front of MGM as we were returning from the show. It was truly a "holy crap" moment in life.
I was outed.
NO longer can I hide my love of Nascar and serious crush on Tony. My fellow Grande wives pretty much had to pull me away, and left me explaining what Nascar is, and specifically who this "Smoke" dude is. Oops. Oh... about that thing above, rubbing his seat, and smelling his outfit? IT WAS HIS CAR. lol lol lol. Tony had gone into the casino just minutes before we walked by!!!!
The Vegas trip just wet my appetite (I soooo am expecting some filthy comments here!) for sun, and vacation. It was really great to be in Capri's and short sleeves again. The cobwebs were dusted off, and the sandals were broken in again. Ahhhhhhhhhh.
The best part of returning home? Knowing that I'd be headed back out west in less than 2 weeks!!!!!
Valley of the Sun.....and why I fell in love again!
My dear friend, Erica got married this past Saturday in Phoenix. She and John chose the absolutely best time of year to have an outdoor wedding in the Phoenix area. At least the best time of year for this Wisconsin chick to attend an outdoor wedding in the Phoenix area!!!! So thank you Erica!!!
Since I was going out there for a wedding, I wanted to bring Kate along. I mean, come on... it IS called the "Valley of the Sun" after all! Of course I had to bring my fellow sunslut along!!!!
It's been 25 years since I moved out there, and I still remember the day as if it was yesterday. I can remember the most minute detail which is surprising as I cannot remember anything anymore. It was love at first sight. In fact, the feeling was so intense that it difficult to ascertain where it was coming from. I don't know what I expected, per se, but it wasn't what I saw.
Kate had a similar response.
Funny.... each time I drive out of Sky Harbor airport I still get the tingly feeling as I did in 1985. Strange! I love being able to get around without too much trouble -- as it IS the easiest big City to maneuver around in. Clearly a "woman" designed its street system because IT MAKES SENSE! lol
So many memories.... great friends, great times, and life changing for me.
It made waking up at 4:30 am all worth it! The two sunsluts had their swimsuits on, towels in hand by noon :) We decided to stay at the Hilton Tapatio resort for the two nights before the wedding. I mean, come on... six pools, poolside drink and food service, and gorgeous city views of Phoenix? How could we say no?!?! lol
As it was St. Patricks day, it was only fitting to enjoy a few cocktails in honor of our Irish heritage... and since we couldn't find (truthfully didn't ask for any) green beer, we opted to try a margarita instead. Hey... it's green isn't it?!?! hee hee. OK... so mine was a strawberry one, but Kate's was green!!!
How's this for feeling old? We were both in bed, asleep by 7:30 pm on St. Pat's night. Sad....but...true!!
Friday brought along another gorgeous sunny day -- hand picked for perfect tanning weather. Also, the resort had a big and scary water slide/tunnel that beckoned us both. I might be fearless, but I am NOT stupid either.... I made sure to watch and observe multiple adults go down this water tunnel. Not only the little "annie"-rexics either! No effing way was I intending on getting stuck in a pitch black tunnel of hell. hee hee. We made the trek up the mountainside, stepping aside for the youngsters sprinting up the hill. OMG, I was sucking serious air just trying to walk up that dang cliff, the heck if I was going to sprint!!!! So... we get to the top.... and Kate gets scared. Her words were "You're the older sister here -- YOU GO FIRST". Great. Go first so that I can be killed first? lol As I was contemplating and reviewing all possible outcomes of such a "ride", some of the things that illogically crossed my mind were:
- Are all your DEATH documents in place? Yes.
- Do you have dismemberment coverage on your medical insurance? How the hell would I know that?! OK, make that a maybe.
- Would they send all the body parts to Mike in one box or several? I guess one.
- Do I remember ANYTHING from Life Guard school? Just the dead man float. Shit, that won't help, or will it?!?
- Wait... I did pass my life guard training, didn't I? Yes.
- What was that trick again for holding your breath while taking a big plunge?
- Will my fat ass fit through this tunnel?
- How does one become UN stuck?
- Oh crap.... here goes nothing.
For the record, I didn't even scream :) but Kate did, the ENTIRE way down. How do I know? The guy watching made quite the mention of it!!! I'm not sure I could quite hear it all over the choking sounds that were emitted from my lungs. Apparently I didn't remember how to hold my breath while being thrust down water-drenched death defying tunnel of fear.
And I wanted to go again? WTF
So we laughed, and laughed, and laughed some more at the idiots that chose to ride it. We thought it would be fun to sit on the bench and watch people's landing into the water. Adults don't land gracefully whatsoever. Legs, arms and head flailing. Kids just skip over the top. It so isn't fair!
Then we went into Scottsdale and met up with another dear friend of mine, Jana for dinner. She is a true friend, one who never wavered and we've been through it all. I just love her to bits, and it was awesome how we could pick up just like it was yesterday that we saw each other last. When in reality, it was 8-1/2 years ago! Great times, and definitely awesome food at the Tortilla Factory! Too bad someone stole Kate's camera when we left it by accident.
We decided that we both needed a martini to calm us down! As great as the Hilton Tapatio resort is, the one thing that they cannot do is make an outstanding Chocolate Martini. It wasn't horrible, but wasn't going to make the "best" list either. The search will continue on....
On Saturday we got up early again, got ready and checked out. I thought that Kate should at least get a tour of Phoenix before heading out west to Lichtfield for the wedding. Glad to play tour guide, and I think she really saw the true Phoenix! The mountains looked great, as did all the Orange blossoms and other flowers too. It was as green as it gets and really showed off quite nicely to this pair of cheeseheads!
Headed over to the Wigwam resort in time for a quick salad before the big wedding. The outdoor wedding was beautiful and the reception even better!
Note to self: Be careful of your cocktails while outside in Arizona. They tend to really evaporate quickly due to the dry air. Clearly that must be the only reason we had to refill our glasses so often, right?!? Boy the drinks evaporated quickly, and often too!!!! As did the ones afterwards while sitting outside that night. I even think the bartender tried to pull a fast one on me. What? By that point I switched to enjoying a Russian. I mean, come on.... been drinking since 2:30 in the sun, and really didn't need to argue that the bartender "forgot" to put Kahlua in that glass did I? Oops... but I did. So with my newly "refreshed" Russian I bid farewell to the night.
Even I know when to say when..... and "when" it was!
Phoenix.... I love you again! Thank you for the sun and fun and we'll see you soon.....

1 Comments:
Sounds fabulous! Very jealous!! ;)
Post a Comment
Feel free to let me know what you think! Julie
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home