Chaneling my Inner Princess
Almost exactly thirty years ago, I was one of the billion or many many millions that woke up early to watch Diana Spencer marry her prince.
Now jump forward these thirty years.... and I'm sitting here shaking my head thinking -- holy sheet THAT was 30 years ago? THIRTY YEARS has passed THAT fast? Thirty years ago I graduated from high school. It was 31 yrs ago that I first found out I would have great difficulty in getting pregnant. Boy was that doctor correct.
Thirty years ago, life was ahead of me, just like Princess Diana's life was ahead of her. I, too, had a head full of dreams, and even more "what ifs". As I sat there in my parents family room with my Mom watching that beautiful dress and train that seemed to go and on and on forever, I knew in that silly moment that I would one day get married to my own prince, and damn it, I WOULD rock a long train!!!!
I thought her enormous blue sapphire engagement ring was about the coolest thing I've ever seen. Again, it was that moment that spawned my absolute love of all things sapphire and diamond!!!
How cool was it that a simple girl (albeit from royalty) could marry a prince? Why not aim for that myself? Goals are good, right?!? Dreams are even better.
All the pagaentry.... all the glory! Ahhhhh...
SO.... back to the present -- 2011. Thirty years after that fateful day, I am gathering my preparations for watching her son, Prince William is marrying his "Princess" Kate-the-Great Middleton. I've decided that the sleep deprivation would be worth it (at least on this "side" of it), and I will be watching. And just in case, I will triple set my Ti-Vo dvr to record all of it. I am too much of a control freak NOT to do that!!!!
I know people/friends that are having "viewing parties", and girls sleepovers which sound great too. However, I want to sit in my own basement with my own Kleenex and my own tears. Even though my Mom passed away a few years ago, I know she'll be sitting right next to me sharing that same Kleenex box -- even in spirit. I will don my fabulous sapphire and diamond jewels, and who says sapphires don't "go with" navy blue sweat pants? lol
I will soak it all in, and will allow myself to drift back in time to thirty years ago, and revisit all those dreams I once had. Many of them did come true. I did marry my prince, and the glass slipper that he held fit me like a glove. And yes, I ROCKED a long white train at our own picture perfect wedding!!!
Those other dreams? Some had to change and be altered. Yes, life does have a way of reminding you that it's not ALWAYS a fairy tale. However, many of those did come true.
Happy watching!

1 Comments:
forget about being a prince...I want to be King. xoxoxoM2
Post a Comment
Feel free to let me know what you think! Julie
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home