Friday, January 13, 2012

It's all about the BALLS


Balls?  Gutters people... get outta them!  Balls -- as in footballs and NYs Eve balls... what were YOU thinking?!?

First things first....... the Holidays and the Rose bowl

I'll skip Thanksgiving -- it was all fun -- all four Hansen siblings were at our house for a few days -- and it was very loud.  Dinner was outstanding (if I can toot my own horn?!?), and shopping on Black Friday was successful.  Moving on....

At Thanksgiving (oops slight digress here) we learned that Christmas would not be celebrated in Fond du lac at Chez Magers - the kids (nieces and nephew) were spending it with the 'other' side - therefore, it would only be Steve and us.  I guess (??) upon hearing this news, I announced that "woo hoo -- this means I am NOT decorating.... no "Jethro" tree, no stairwell decorations... no decorating period".  I say that I guess I said this because I'm not sure I remember it the same way as Mike does.... but whatever. 

I simply was not in the Christmas hoopla mood -- never found it -- never cared.  I was a total scrooge and I was perfectly okay with that!!!! P.S. Not with the shopping aspect -- hell -- I'd have to be dead before not finding pleasure in shopping. 

Didn't want to hear Xmas carols (not exactly new), nor did I jump at the chance to attend the various parties associated with the time of year.  It was a struggle to care enough to go -- and believe me -- each time I put on nylons and doing my version of the "jump around" (aka WI Badgers) I was cursing the Season even more so.

So this year, we went to Dad's house on Xmas Eve for a few hours.  Let's just say it could have been a Saturday Night Live skit.  It's NEVER boring that's for sure!  Dad's newest little trick is not chewing and/or swallowing properly.  It's quite entertaining -- especially around the dinner table.  He shoves food in and swallows... and then proceeds to choke....which leads him to cough..... then choke....then projectile vomit.... then vomit down the front of himself.  What do I do?  Laugh hysterically -- tears running down my face type of laughing.  Nice huh?  And why would I laugh?  Because he refuses help, and his wife says he gets mad when anyone does try to help -- he needs to work it out on his own.  Imagine watching your dad's lips turn blue, and his face beet red.... yeah, okay I'll just "try" to ignore that?!?  Still... what was funny?  My dearest husband sitting next to me (on my right) who was sitting next to Dad.  Mike started gagging, LOUDLY.  Knowing that if I look at him to try to assist him - then I will have no choice but to see Dad vomiting too.  So, I look at Kate instead -- and she's got this look of pure disgust on her face and she's plugging her ears, and not hiding that fact at all.  And that's when my tears of laughter really kicked in. 

My poor dearest husband took the brunt of dad's problem. 

Yes... all at Christmas dinner.  Can you say AWKWARD?!?

It didn't stop there, either.  It continued to the gift opening ceremonies after dinner.  Let's just say I won't be eating lasagna nor any type of nuts ANY TIME SOON. 

MOVING ON..........

Rose bowl - 2012
Wow... what a game!  We had a marvelous time, and can officially mark it off Mike's "bucket" list!  Being that he's a California boy, it was not terribly surprising to learn that he has always wanted to go... but it wasn't necessarily the game that was #1 on the list, it was the parade.  Say what?   We very much enjoyed Dana Point and the beauty of the coast even though it made for very long bus rides to/from the game/parade -- the scenery was incredible. 















You know when you watch the Rose bowl parade on T.V. and get to see all the pretty flowers on the floats etc., and the lively bands walking by... and possibly a very quick scan of the audience in the pretty grandstands under the TV reporters stand?  Well... I'm here to tell you about what you DON'T see on T.V.  ha ha!  We were surprised to see people on mattresses and makeshift camps five rows deep along Colorado Blvd.  No biggie.  However, the vomit-inducing smell that hits you immediately upon CO. Blvd is horrid -- and it was quickly apparent "what" caused the stench.  For two days these people have been camping out, and either the stores/business' were closed, or they refused to let them "use" their bathrooms.... let's just say it didn't stop them from using the streets.  Disgusting. 

Of course, the TV channels don't show THAT part!!!!! 
















We've decided it's best to watch the Parade from the comfort of your own home -- you get to see much more in depth detail of the flowers on the floats, etc. 

But the game -- THAT'S a different story all together.... how amazing it was to see that game live?!?  I was hoarse for a few days! 

I wonder what's next on that old bucket list?!?!

I was going to add the update of the cottage here, but I think I'll save that for my next blog post. 

1 Comments:

Anonymous Plus Style said...

Wow - soo disappointed to hear this about the Rose Bowl parade. That was definately on my bucket list but will have to rethink it now :(

May 3, 2012 at 7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think! Julie

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Web Counter
Free Counter