Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Honda Skate-a-Thon continues...

Yet another frigid day in the land of the cheese!

Have I mentioned before that I actually like winter? I actually do. I am thinking that I must have my head examined, and soon. But as much as I like it (PS - I LOVE summer, and fall more though) -- I don't like spending 90 minutes stuck in a snowbank, unable to get out of my car.

Alas...the skate-a-thon continues.........

We were blessed (strike that -- CURSED) with a ice storm on Friday -- which made leaving our home impossible. Since freedom is my mantra, you can imagine how ticked, annoyed, and jittery I was by Sunday. DH tried to help -- he kept me occupied with movies, endless bowl games, and pro football -- but it wasn't working. I just HAD to get out by Monday. He left for work in his nice new Jeep - and called to tell me that the driveway and our neighborhood was the worst - the main roads were fine. Yippee!!!! I can leave... I can leave... I can leave. Oh yeah - by the way -- remember Julie it's Monday -- TRASH DAY. SOAB... here we go again. But loving challenges -- I was able to get them down to the road. Heck, I could have probably have just given them a nice little nudge at the garage door and they could have slid down by themselves! lol So..... get that done and figure that I'd continue on my journey.

What possible errand would I risk a skate-a-thon for? Why would I risk bodily and auto harm? Easy.... TO GO TAN! hee hee. I leave for Mexico in two weeks, and I am a very pale Irish gal with some Dutch in her (pale blue eyes) -- who has suffered sun poisoning at least once. I learned years ago, that a few trips to the suntanning booth helps eliminate problems later. I'll take my chances with skin cancer for my 7 visits a year. Call me vain! Oh... since I'm out, I suppose I should get some groceries since I've eaten everything that even resembled food while cooped up all weekend. I was onto the leftover marshmallows from Thanksgiving... pretty sad.

No problems driving around the town... enjoyed the feel of warmth surrounding me like a coccoon... even enjoyed the grocery store. I was FREE! Freedom.....ticking away.... calling me home... had to tackle the "hill"... but wait -- the hill was fine. No problems. And then the driveway....... oh poop.... made it halfway and then the skate-a-thon happened. Had my foot completely on the brake, and the useless tires decided to take me for a spin. I recall doing a half a donut right before landing in the dang ditch next to the drive. UGH.

I am woman! I grew up in Wisconsin, driving on ice. I've spent my share of time in snowbanks (don't say anything -- it was during my wild 20s), and even more time learning how to get out of snow stucks. I was sure that I'd be able to get out of this one. Boy was I wrong. I attempted to open the door to assess the tire situation - but of course -- I couldn't open the dang door. OH - I forgot to mention that I was dressed in my SWIMSUIT, a sweatshirt hoodie, and my Ugg CLOGS (w/out socks, of course). Crap. Time to call AAA, and then DH.

DH was laughing hysterically at the thought that his blond wife was stuck in our ditch, in our driveway, 40 ft or so from our front door, and sitting there in her swimsuit. Even if I did crawl over to the passenger side to get out - why the heck would I want to? What made me think that I could skate my way to the front door without bodily damage? Remember... I'm leaving in two weeks - I really don't want to be on crutches. That would severely DAMPEN my ability to walk (or swim) with a Wisconsin mug full of pina coladas in my hand at the same time. I mean, come on.... lol

So.... I sat. I waited. And waited... and waited. I read the mail. I called my sister. I texted my niece. I called the house voice mail. I started my pack list in my mind. Started other lists in my mind too (I have since forgotten most of them). DH called again to check on me, and to mention that he thought I got stuck because of my TIRES. Ya' think? What a brilliant observation that was, huh? I've only been complaining (and blogging) about my "useless" tires for two months now. Do you THINK my tires are the problem? lol And for the record, another call I made while waiting? I called the Honda dealership and told them to order the VERY BEST snow tires that money could buy. I'll be in on Thursday to have them installed along with a new battery. Ah... done!

The tow truck came, they lifted me out, had my drive/skate back wards to the end of the driveway, and told me to park it. He kicked me out OF MY OWN CAR, and told me that "he'd drive it up the driveway" for me. Jerk -- actually made it all the way to the darn garage. Ha ha... he had to skate down to the tow truck though!!!!! PS - he was actually a very nice older gentleman.

So.... the winter thrills might be coming to an end. I will miss the adrenaline rush of tackling the driveway and then the hill. I guess I'll just have to find other thrills.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think! Julie

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Web Counter
Free Counter