Miscellaneous Thanksgiving Musings
quick update on my wipeout status -- no bruises -- just a slightly out lower back.
The Day before Thanksgiving...
Here I am sitting at the computer taking a break from the kitchen. Being a lazy hiney I like to cook in groups. Maybe this would make me OCD (obsessive cooking disorder), but I've been making this same feast for several years, and the routine is always the same. Get my bag of tostitos ready, my cans of diet coke lined up, and then study all the recipes AGAIN for the umpteenth time. Somehow I always think that the recipes have magically changed over night. Oops... I can't forget to mention my phones that need to placed within arms reach too. Why do I really think that I need my cell phone on the cooking counter? Ya never know who might call. Silly. Obsessive.....
As I slowly get amped up from my soda and chips I feel energized to tackle the task in front of me. But wait... I don't have that extra pint of whipping cream, or the oj, or the bread, or the milk for my white russians (is lunch too early?). STOP -- gotta start the grocery list, AGAIN.
Back to the tasks.... good... first group done. Now it's time to put in the fridge. Oh sheesh... those shelves are nasty..... I really DID mean to clean those this summer. Crap.... ok, well, there's no time like the present. That was easy. BUT I couldn't get them back in. I give up - it's time for a blog.
I don't know how my Mom did this for so many years. She never broke a sweat, and the only curse words I heard was when absolutely necessary. Mostly when her completed dish fell out of her hands and shattered over the kitchen floor. Or when my baby brother decided to help himself to the pies the day before, and "conveniently" forgot to mention this to her. Yeah, ok, I've heard her curse. But typically she handled all of it with grace and expertise. She clearly didn't pass this gene on to either of her daughters. I might be able to cook alright, but to do it w/out curse words? Um... I'm guilty. I am especially fond of the "curse tourettes"... ya know when it's a lengthy string of bad words put together in a VERY descriptive sentence!?!
Yes...holiday time brings out the best in me. Did I mention the need for kahlua yet?!?! lol
What am I thankful for? Let me ponder that one. Kitchenaid mixers, plastic non-breakable bottles of EVERYTHING, canned anything, frozen pie crusts, and bottled gravy.
Bottled gravy? My family has learned to shup up about this because they've learned firsthand that none of them care for the taste of flour paste on top of their turkey fixins. So, I am waiting for the first person to say something... and my response will be automatic: STFU. Amen.
Well... the kitchen is calling.... I'll post this now, and hopefully after the next round I'll come back a bit happier -- or at least with more to report
Labels: Present -- Presence -- or my favorite lots of Presents

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Feel free to let me know what you think! Julie
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home