Altitude with Attitude
Denver x 2
Another mini vacation in the books. We headed back to Denver for the second time in ten weeks, but this time it wasn't for baseball... it was for work, and mostly fun.
Upon arrival we were amazed that there could be well over a foot of snow AND it was warm outside. Huh? I guess where we come from when there is snow, it is COLD! Boy did I over pack cold weather clothes. Oh well.
Once arriving at the hotel, we were both antsy as heck. We couldn't fathom sitting in a cramped room watching college football (as much as we love doing it at home). So... off we went. We had the gorgeous Rockies staring at us, calling our names. Ok, I wasn't hallucinating yet -- but they truly were beckoning us. We opted against tackling the high mountain elevations due to the snow factor (and my altitude migraines) -- but we did head to Colorado Springs. I've never been there (or that I can remember), so why not. Beats a cramped hotel room any day.
The drive was a complete blank to me. All I remember was thinking that I was nice and toasty warm, and next thing we're there. Car rides, sun, travel -- all the makings of a guaranteed nappy for Julie! Mike just loves it when I do that, too! Not. Altitude makes me sleepy what can I say?
Our journey led us to the Broadmoor Hotel and neighboring areas. Wow, what a huge spread out hotel. I enjoyed seeing Pikes Peak too from there. I gave some serious thought to sitting my tush down in a very comfy looking lawn chair and taking another snooze. Not sure that Mike was gong ho but it was a thought!
Then... we heard a city slicker all in a tizzy fit. She was claiming there were...gasp... DEER on the lawn. Oh my god, not DEER? Sheesh lady we have a herd any given day in our front yard. What's the big deal? Clearly she's never seen deer or bucks up close. BUT I will say this... the funny little men running around in neon orange jumpsuits in Wisconsin this week would kill for one of these bucks. Ha ha. Get it? Would kill for one of them? They would -- these bucks were huge. But again... they are still just deer.
Considering how early it gets dark now, we opted to skip dinner in CO Springs and decided to head back to Denver to catch our belated anniversary dinner. While we were walking back we come across more wild life, and let me emphasize the word wild. I was chased by a killer squirrel. It was the largest damn squirrel that I've ever seen and it was chasing its tail. Going in continuous circles. We laughed hysterically at this psycho thing. Yeah well... I don't suppose snapping and clapping my hands was the wisest idea. The damn thing started chasing me. Yes, I can see the headline now... "Wisconsin Woman attacked by a killer...squirrel". Stop laughing!
OMG... it can only happen to me. Maybe it was karma for totally making fun of the "city slicker and dear thingy". Who knows.
We ended up stopping at a local Mexican restaurant close to our hotel. It was okay at best but always nice having good chips and salsa.
=================================
"Never forget from where you've come"
Apparently it is possible to forget. It finally happened -- Mike the lifetime die-hard fly fisherman (think "River Runs through It") clearly has taken to Bubba bass fishing. Or to use another cliche "When in Wisconsin... do as they do." And that would be bass fish. How did this happen? Mostly due to proximity, but also because I refuse to go walk thru cow shit to find trout anymore. Therefore, he's lost his fly-fishing partner for local jaunts. The cottage has taken his weekends away from traveling to other parts of WI for fly fishing too. Hence his attraction to bass fishing. eeks.
So I was more that happy to tag along on the "take-the-boy-out-of-bubba-bass-land-and-let- him-find-his-roots" vacation. It was downright joyful to see him so happy again!
Finally.
He caught beasts on the first day, or so he says. I want pictures! The guide didn't "capture" the biggest ones but there are plenty of other ones as proof. He was a tired boy after trekking up and down the streams in that altitude. Eh... it was good for him!!!! lol The second day he was after quantity vs. quality of day one. He seemed to succeed at that too.
Me? What did I do? What I always love to do... shop and read. Shear perfection! Luckily, my MasterCard and Visa are still in one piece and basically unused. Basically, that is. What can I say? I'm a sucker for makeup counters and so-called "freebies". Buy this and for another $__ you can have this. Sucker, that's what I am. But I did try on my first pair of Jimmy Choo's at Nordstrom's. Don't know what the big fuss is. Hell, I couldn't even walk in them! Oh well. I guess I'll be sticking to my comfy old lady sandals with a modest (and knee saving) heel. lol
But I did LOVE the Louis Vuitton store. God knows how I left there without spending a penny. It took total will power or at least the damn voice in my head repeatedly saying "Mike will KILL you"... "don't do it".... "You KNOW he'll be ticked". I guess the voices got to me. Thank god security was not contacted because I'm sure I was mumbling to myself!!!!!
And then vacation ended, and Grande was calling. The real reason we were there was for a customer business presentation. It was nice to see some old Grande friends, and the J's were able to grab a quick cocktail too! Yay! PS -- the quest continues for the chocolate martini. J. Alexanders in Englewood, CO ranks right up there amongst the best. A rating of 9. Perhaps a perfect score could have been achieved, but further evaluation was needed but it was a business dinner. Oh drats. It was really looking like a perfect ten!!!! I will go back, and I WILL evaluate further :)
So... overall my impressions of Denver vary greatly. The people and lifestyle -- not my thing. The scenery beats all. Never had a fantastic dinner in Denver yet but they do rock the chocolate martinis. Amen to that!
We are home. Back to reality. Back to planning for the onslaught of Hansens/Hutchins/Magers for Thanksgiving. I cannot wait!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Feel free to let me know what you think! Julie
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home