Thursday, August 6, 2009

Going back to where it all began.......

Twenty Years Ago on Saturday - Phoenix Arizona

As this Saturday arrives, it will mark the 20th anniversary date of Mike and my first date. Wow. His birthday is actually tomorrow and that actually played a significant role on how HE chose the day of our infamous first date.

It was Phoenix, Arizona in 1989....... I was working as a receptionist at Circle K home office headquarters. Mike was in the Mgmt training program with Oscar Mayer (which became Kraft later). His job was to do a stint in sales in the different regions before being promoted to Marketing at Oscar Mayer's headquarters (which happens to be located in my hometown of Madison, WI).

Any who... we spent three months heavily flirting each time he came to the office. We talked about going out sometime, but since he was shy (ha ha ha ha, maybe he was back then, but NOT now) I pretty much had to push the issue. When I found out it was his birthday, I suggested that he might let me take him out for a birthday drink. He lied to me and said that he was going to San Diego to meet up w/ his sister and BIL to celebrate his bday. HE LIED! So, we made plans for the 8th. We met at the restaurant, had some cocktails and appetizers (I think?!?), more cocktails, and we've been together ever since. Why did he lie? Because he didn't want our anniversary to be on his birthday. Awwwwwwww. Gag.

He was promoted at the end of 1989 - Christmas time, to be exact. The first time he met my parents was Xmas of 1989... and then interviewed at home office. He was moving RIGHT BACK TO MY HOMETOWN. Needless to say, I went with him.

That was THE LAST time he's been to Phoenix/Scottsdale. Funny thing.... he hates it. He hates every thing it represents. He hates it because it's where I sowed my wild oats; it's where my best friends live, and each time I go back I get into trouble (but have LOTS of fun doing so!!!).

So......... it is quite funny and ironic to me that next week we will be back in Phoenix, together, for the first time in 20 years. Back to where it all began............. back to the beginning of us.

Oh yeah -- his dad will be along this time!!!!! lol So why are we going back to the scene of the crime? Because...............

Baseball Tour Part II - West Coast version begins Wednesday................

We will be spending a full week hitting up and seeing games at the West Coast ball parks -- Coors Field, Denver; PNC Park (Diamondbacks) Phoenix; San Diego Padres - Petco Stadium; and finally Dodger Stadium in LA.

I will be blogging a lot more during and after this vacation..... it should be packed full of stories and thoughts to share.....

Until then.... enjoy the weather !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think! Julie

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Web Counter
Free Counter