Friday, May 29, 2009

Replacing one addiction for another

My newest addiction

For years, I was addicted to any thing fertility. Both my own issues and those of others. It's what filled my days, and filled my head. But before any of you think it's time for a padded room, let me assure you that it wasn't a 24/7/365 obsession. Rather it would come in "spurts" (no pun intended!). But it did last a long time. And that's when I found websites to feed the addiction. Heck... I could argue that I continue this today, but not to the same degree.

As a Gemini, I tend to have a lot of things that I juggle, or dig into. Rarely, if ever, do I ever stick with any obsession/addiction of the day/month. Let's see.... there was the sewing obsession (my niece was like 2 at the time, she's now 17); painting; quilting (lasted about 3 months), gardening (never really took off past buying books), organizing (work in progress), and my favorite: scrap booking.

Ah yes.... scrap booking. I would stay up and pull all nighters when dh would be on a fishing trip. All nighters? Sheesh. I had every known gadget and tool; I'd search for the coolest papers in the Chicagoland area. I subscribed to all the magazines, etc. I loved it. I obsessed. I was addicted. Then I got sick of it. Too much work. Not enough space. Too messy. The excuses were endless. Do you know that we even added a bedroom in our basement (we built this house) specifically for my scrap booking? By the time we moved in, the scrap booking stuff had been in storage for over a year, and clearly I didn't miss it. That room? is now a traditional sports-themed bedroom. Oh well.

But.......... the one addiction that has lasted my whole life? Reading.

Growing up, I had two parents who were avid readers. For me, going to the library was a blast and piling the books into my bike basket was the coolest thing around. I can't remember a time when I didn't read books. In my teenage years, I tended to be grounded... A LOT. Thank you Kate, JP, and Steve! So... to pass the time, or to get away from my parents (and their rants), I would hole up in my room, and read for endless hours. Trust me, if they would have figured out that I actually enjoyed being sent to my room, they would have taken that away too! lol. Hence, my total addiction was born.

Addiction you ask? Yes. A full on addiction. I get anxious and panicky if I don't have a pile of books on hand at all times. Every trip to the mall includes a jaunt into Barnes and Noble or some other book store. I'm not picky -- I'll order on line if needed. Grocery stores, drug stores, airports, and any store that sells books are my pimps. They've all fed this addiction. I have books in my car.... on the kitchen counter....family room table....bedside table.... and then there's the library in our house. (Did you really think I wouldn't have one of those!?!). I stash books. Isn't that the true sign of a addicted person?!? lol

Last month, while in the airport in San Francisco, we were seated at our gate doing what we do best.... people watching. The family directly in front of us were all reading on a strange looking gadget. It's wasn't a laptop, so I asked the dad what it was. He said "oh, this is a Kindle2". Ding, ding, ding. I had heard of Kindles, but I really didn't know what they were, much less ever seen one. Well... the guy was awesome, so was his wife. They both lean over and show me their Kindle and how it worked, and all the really cool features. The wife had an older model, and the college-aged kid had the same older model. The dad had the K2. HOLY CRAP. It was love at first sight.

But why would you want to give up the smell and feel of holding a brand new hard cover or a new paper back? Books are wonderful conversation starters... especially on planes, beaches or pools. How will someone know what you're reading? Do people really care, or am I a book geek? For the record, I'm not really sure that I want to advertise that I love reading the latest smut romance novel. Do I really need to advertise "Take Me at Sunrise" or "Stud Muffin, at Your Service" ????? lol No.

So, once home, I started doing my research on this wonderful new gadget. As did my husband. He kept asking me if I wanted one for my birthday (can you say REALLY easy present?!?!). I couldn't and wouldn't give him an answer. I waffled. I simply didn't know if I could let go of my book obsession (it's gone beyond simple reading). Could I? Is it worth the cost? Would I use it? It is boat safe? Will my hands cramp? lol. Finally... he got his answer..... yes.

Last weekend was my birthday, and sure enough my brand new Kindle2 arrived -- along with a nice new leather cover. I brought it home to figure out and set up. I didn't want to begin my latest obsession at the cottage... this needed to be in the privacy of my own home office. I know.... a true addict. I set it up on Wednesday. I've already whipped thru two full books. Oh... I am in SERIOUS trouble. If I thought I spent hoards of money before on books.... that was sissy play.... I'm on to something downright troublesome. I can download books, ANY TIME, ANY WHERE (almost), and any kind of book. Literally..... any book is at my finger tips.

Magically it is all billed right to my credit card. Holy crap. Mike, I'm truly sorry in advance. You will now know the true cost of what I've been hiding for years. It will be all right there in black and white.

Hopefully, I will be able to pimp out the wondrous virtues of this little gadget on him. Maybe I'll be able to get him addicted so that we end up fighting over MY Kindle. Hmm.... I guess addicts truly do prefer to hang out with other addicts!!!! lol

To my online friends, off line friends, and family members, if you don't see or hear from me every few days, will you please check on me? I'm afraid I'll be the one hiding with this Kindle in front of my face. Please.... have some compassion!!!

PS - I LOVE MY KINDLE :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think! Julie

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Web Counter
Free Counter