The "March" to retirement begins....
Well, HELLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOO again :D it's been at least 2-1/2 years since I've blogged.
Part 1:
Literally, it took about six months to figure out passwords, new IP ownership stuff, etc. lol - funny how a little dog doesn't seem to care a whit about my need to sit at the computer screen for hours. Hence, the 6 months.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Part II:
Long story (short): we're (technically Mike) retiring on 12/31/17.
Part III: - The Long Version of above
Where to begin, except as far back as my poor memory allows.... as long as I can remember, Mike has had a wish to retire at age 55.... it probably became more of a real and focused dream when the inability to have children "door" shut, in our early forties. We did the cottage rebuild solely to assist in our retirement goals, knowing we'd live there full-time in the summers, etc. At one point, before my Fibromyalgia became a HUGE issue, we thought we'd live there year-round.
Not to be.
The last few years, the discussions have been pretty intense to say the least! Many of nights both at the house, and the cottage (including the boat) were spent talking/fighting/drunk/planning and figuring out the what, when, how, if, should, could, and where blanks.
As you know, neither of us are known to be the most patient - as in - "what and see what happens" people. We both plan, create spreadsheets, and obsess (me) a bit too much. SHOCK!?! not.
Over the last few years, since the last blog post, my Fibromyalgia has become pretty debilitating -- especially in the cool/winter months up here in Wisconsin. Yes, the medication has helped a lot - it allows me to walk at least. But it cannot help the other lovely symptoms. Flares that last months. With each flare brings nasty-ness beyond control (yes, I mean it, cannot control). My body is in pain, which then turns my brain to mush, emotions to psycho state at times. Blah blah blah.
IF I attend functions, I complain constantly - until the front door opens and I have to "act" like nothing is wrong. Family functions are a different story -- I'm speaking of work commitments, etc.
I'm sharing this not to whine, or complain (lol), rather to explain the condition in frank terms. It's not fun. I LOVE the snow, and don't mind the cold -- my body has other ideas. Don't worry, rain is just as bad.
Hence, the "Where" discussion. We knew my body responds to temperatures that are 60 degrees or warmer. High humidity isn't great, but better than cold/snow, etc. Dry warm is ideal.
I needed warm.... wanted palm trees, needed social interactions/friends, and knew I hated Florida.
That decision began the precipice of our clearer picture of retirement.
Mike wanted Mountains, and fishing. Fly-fishing would be ideal, but not a deal breaker.
Mountains, warm, and palm trees........ hmm...... I know the answer :D Mike, however, needed more time.
We decided to begin our serious location search, and landed on an extended trip to the Southwest back in late October 2016. By this point, when I thought of what retirement would look like, I thought it would be really cool to toot around on a golf cart, be able to go get groceries, etc. and never leave the golf cart. An active 55+ type of community. My Grandfather, Alton S. Hansen lived in one of these place (Sun City West) way back in the 80's. I would visit monthly when I lived in Phoenix back then. It made a very lasting impression, clearly! I thought it was really cool!!
Luckily, Mike didn't totally say no to the idea. He knows his tendencies - especially the house-hermit tendency. He is the nicest, most friendly guy once I push him out the door...but it takes work. He loved the idea of taking classes, maybe getting back into golf, socializing, gym classes, and yoga.
Back to the Southwest....
I did a quick preview trip in late August as a way to be more time-efficient for our "big" trip. Of course, no one had to ask me twice to travel alone - back to AZ and see my Bff's :D
Of the places we visited, St. George, Utah, Tucson, and Phoenix/Scottsdale we had a clear winner at the end.
Phoenix.
Back to where it all began for us.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Feel free to let me know what you think! Julie
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home